Thursday, May 6, 2010

celebrate and feast :)

5 de mayo love
so last week i had this idea to celebrate cinco de mayo with some carne asada fries.
Mr.handsome and i are silly people. (i just like to lump mr.handsome in with me so i won't be the only looney :)
now, usually we don't do anything for cinco de mayo. We are mexican. but it really isn't the same celebration everyone else is having... a drinking fest. I wanted a nice dinner at the table with something we hadn't made for dinner before.
Carne asada fries :)

now, mr.handsome is all about food. so he didn't hesitate to agree. hahaa

so yesterday as i was preparing the carne asada fries for dinner, i looked over at our dinner table and it looked kind of sad. Empty and not so fiestaish. So i ran over to my studio, plucked a happy garland i had made and added some sunflowers mr.handsome bought me last week for our anniversary and ta-dah! a little pretty still life to have a happy fiesta under :)

no mariachi music.
(oh my gosh we are not crazy for that kind of music ;P)

enter mr.handsome from work and mmmmmm.... yum. it smells good.
let's eat!

but of course, i had to take mona out and snap a few photos.

Now, mr.handsome, can you move my purse from the other chair in the back?
wait, can you move the chair out of the picture. it's in the way. thank you my love!
hold on, i need to adjust the camera setting.
alright, smile. no. not like that, maybe a little happier?
no. that's cheesy. oh. never mind.



you can eat now :)

i know. let the man eat already huh?

well, hello. somebody has to take a picture of this pretty feast :P

hope you are having a lovely week so far, i'm playing catch up and honestly need a little break already. hurry friday. hurry!

xoxo,
d

10 comments:

jamie said...

so fun.

Anonymous said...

since you asked last night: Cinco de Mayo (Spanish for "fifth of May") is a holiday held on May 5 that commemorates the Mexican army's unlikely victory over French forces at the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862, under the leadership of General Ignacio Zaragoza SeguĂ­n. It is celebrated primarily in the state of Puebla and in the United States. While Cinco de Mayo sees limited significance and celebration nationwide in Mexico, the date is observed nationwide in the United States and other locations around the world as a celebration of Mexican heritage and pride. Cinco de Mayo is not Mexico's Independence Day, the most important national patriotic holiday in Mexico... love ya ;)

sandra said...

Carne asada fries, yumm!

Wait, you're Mexican and you don't like Mariachi music?? JK! ;)
I'm half Mexican (half Guatemalan) but I'm not like, in love with it either.
Love the description of the photo process. When I do that with my brothers they yell at me 'OMG, just take the picture already!' No patience, I tell you.

TheLastOfNine said...

We don't celebrate this "holiday" either, friends usually look at us with this are-you-out-of-your-mind! look. What ever, I guess anything thing will serve as an excuse to celebrate ;P

I've made carne asada, even the little fat is yummy (yes I said fat, don't judge me without trying it first) my question is how do you make the fries???

On another note, those sunflowers are gorgeous!!! Mother nature sure does a good job making them, and so do you arranging them.

Gloria

angie backen said...

1. you have NO IDEA how good carne asada fries sound right about now. my mouth is watering. *slurp* :9
2. i do love mariachi music because my daddy is one. it's in my blood. or something. ;)
3. you two are just too freakin' cute.

HAPPY day after CINCO DE MAYO! ole.

xo

Elisa said...

you are so so funny!!! love the "live scene" of taking the pic :) LOL
I wish I tried that carne asada, love it!!!!
xoxo
elisa

Colleen said...

Looks like a fun and beautiful night.
Now, about that carne asada... Can I get a recipe? :)

danielle said...

hi there, I live in Mexico City right now and there was a 3 day holiday, but really no celebrations...so yours is quite festive to me. I love anything Mexican food though! Your dinner looks muy rico! Love the garland, too!

Unknown said...

After reading your post, I was inspired to write my own post about my Cinco de Mayo dinner. ;)

Jennifer Evans said...

LOL! Love love love that post. So like an artist.

Oh, have I told you that I grew up in SD? Yeah, graduated from SDHS. Kind of miss it... well, walking to Balboa Park every week in art class. Heavenly...